Re: pango makefile fix breaks gtk build

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 05:03:25PM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >
> >For the record, for glib/pango/gtk+ development, I don't use
> >jhbuild.  But I don't have any problem with dependencies,
> >linking, etc, and I'm using FC4.  The bug report (#322885) has a
> >comment from a libtool maintainer, saying that the problem
> >reported by Carol is a side-effect of debian changing their
> >default libtool configuration.

i am trying to work with perhaps the minimum set-up and it involves
three groups of software people who (i think) are all trying to do their
part the right way.

it is not unlike having a view of an intersection where there are
several collisions all of the time, and knowing that only one thing
needs to be fixed so that people can traverse safely.  my minimum set up
also seems to come with a minimum understanding of the language.

i asked Ralf Wildenhues to help me to understand.  i was expecting to
(eventually) understand something about how this operating system needs
this and that operating system needs this conflicting thing and it all
shows up right at this one spot.  Mr. Wildenhues seemed to be able to
make more sense of the patch than anything i wrote, whitespace and all.

what is disturbing now is that it is not a conflict of operating systems
as i had suspected.  it is a conflict of people trying to maintain the
gnu/gpl ethic.  debian needed to do this and libtool needed to do that
and gtk+ ended up doing things this other way because of that.

the libtool-bug list is stepping up to the challenge (even if this
months maillist archives are not there to prove it).  for me, it looks
like everything is so well designed and such a good archetecture that
there is only one thing that makes it not work at this one point.  and
that is all of the language i have to describe what i see.

/me goes to sit in the mostly useless corner

> which is exactly my point, jhbuild fetches a seperate working
> libtool for you, as it does with the other tools. this is not
> the first (linking) problem popping up with building yourself
> in /usr/local/ and i bet you it won't be the last.
>
> there is a nest of other problems involved with not using jhbuild,
> i've been there and suffered through it for years. but aparently
> some people have to figure that lively on their own ;)

the thing about jhbuild.  i have been using jhgimp so happily now for
several years.  lately, i use it not embarrasingly -- maybe that
explains the reason that i would rather author such a thing as jhbuild
than actually use it.  when i heard what the "jh" meant and what
jhbuild did, my first thought was "okay, that would be an interesting
challenge and probably end up to be a funny little comedy for those who
read scripts and what they do".

at any rate, thanks or accept my apology, whichever fits best,

carol