Re: ABI and API for g_object_ref_sink() (Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?)

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:29:18AM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> i think this is a good enough compromise. we'll allow potential breakage
> if applications/libraries don't care to implement their dependencies
> properly. i hope that is weak enough to not occour or be easily fixable
> in practice. to help with that, it should be outlined in the docs and
> release notes of course.
> basically, a rule of thumb for applications will be that if they depend on
> glib-2.10 for some reason *and* also depend on gtk+, they should make sure
> to at least depend on gtk+-2.8.10. this will be the case for the next
> gnome release.

and this hackery will need to be propagated to other
libraries that currently implement their own floating flag, i suppose...

once again, is this really worth it?  i mean, we knew about the fundamental
desire for a floating flag from gobject 2.0's birth, since it was based
on gtkobject, and users have had 4 major releases to design code around it.
there's no essentially new information to motivate this change,
except maybe the existance of a spare bit in GObject.

it seems like just waiting for 3.0 is a nicer, more stable approach.

- dave