Re: ABI and API for g_object_ref_sink() (Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?)

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:

Tim Janik wrote:

ok so there is a reason. a desire (by multiple users and projects
actually) to implement that flag and a possibility (as was found out
in the original thread on this subject already).

Nobody so far said that objects with floating reference in glib is not needed.
But what about Murray idea, to create separate class; or, along same lines,

that wouldn't change a thing. if you had a GFLoatableObject, you'd still
want to derive GtkObject from it, so you may as well have it in GObject.

control presence of floating reference somehow on class base? ("Along
same lines" meaning "do not break it!")

What I am worrying about is this:
[...]
But now
I fear that I cannot develop my application on older versions of gtk and be
sure it will work on newer.
[...]
And I believe
I am describing potential (which is going to be actual in gtk-2.10?) problem
of more than one non-mainstream-developer.
[...]

i think i adressed any valid technical and compatibility related concern
you raised in this thread already.

Sorry for being pessimistic,

yeah, that's normal, everyone of us has that from time to time.
just get some colored bubble gum, ice cream, go out and dance
or do something else that'll cheer you up and don't worry ;)

Yevgen

---
ciaoTJ