Mapping key values between different Keyboards

Hi,

In a GtkTextView, I need to handle the key press "CONTROL + B".  I do
this by checking the values of the (eventPtr->key.keyval,
eventPtr->key.state) combination, where eventPtr is the GdkEvent
coming in the "key-press-event" for the text widget.

This works fine for English, but as soon as I switch my keyboard to
something else, say arabic, then the values that come correspond to
other keys.

So I needed to know if there a simple way to map a given key press
event, and tell me the English values of the keyval and keystate?  If
not, what is the way to go about it?

Thanks,
Gaurav