Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 14:57 +0300, Aschwin van der Woude wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 08:43 +0000, DANIELLLANO wrote:
> > Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > > What if you want to open a document you edited some time ago (but not
> > > too long), and it went out of the menu?
> >
> > Then it's not a Recent Document.
>
> I have always found the "recent files/documents" list kinda useless. I
> use my computer for various tasks, some work related some private.
>
> During work I might use a small set of files, or perhaps just even work
> on a single document during the day. In the evening I might pick up my
> digital photography hobby and review a bunch of photographs and perhaps
> even edit them. (Nautilus, eog, gimp)
>
> The next morning I start working again and want to continue to work on
> the file I was editing the day before. Unfortunately it already fell off
> the "recent files" list, and I will have to dig out that file myself
> again. Which is pretty deeply nested in my cases, as I have lots of
> files to keep around.

For this, we should have a more complex UI, paired up with a simplyer
one, in order to view all the recently used resources.

And I say "recently used resources", not documents/files, since
everything that could be expressed as a resource could be saved into the
recently used list.

Also, the proposed API allows the creation of per-application lists, and
even meta-classes of applications (recently used items that shows up in
a class of applications, say Editors or Media Players).

So, what I am proposing is not just the revamped version of the current
recent-files code: it's more like a more generic approach to the issue.

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>