how to ensure the threads safe?

I've been working on a multi-thread project based on Gtk2. I used a listen thread beside the gtk-main thread.
The listen thread is blocked until a message comes from the Linux Message Queue. When the listen thread received one message, it will create a dialog and show it. But the problem is the dialog cannot work successfully and the process was crashed. But in the gtk-main thread, there's no problem at all. What's the problem?