Re: Common Save Confirmation Dialogue

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 18:23 +0100, Marc O'Morain wrote:
> On 5/12/05, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> >   OK, but:
> >         1. Fire Inkscape
> >         2. Draw something on the blank document
> >         3. Click on "Create New Document"
> >         4. Draw something on the new document
> >         5. Activate File->Exit
> >
> >   Then you get two confirmation dialogues in sequence, from the same SDI
> > (you said it yourself) application.  I think Single Document Interface
> > means you have one document per window, but it doesn't mean an
> > application cannot have several windows open.  And of course File->Exit
> > should quit the application, meaning all windows have to be closed.
>
> All this is really beside the point of adding the common dialogue to
> GTK.  However, as I said above, I do not have access to a GNOME
> machine at present, but I have just run the latest version of Inkscpae
> under Windows XP. If I open a document, and then hit File -> New, I
> have two Windows open. If I close either of these documents,

  I didn't say _close_, I said File->Quit, which is different.

>  the other
> one stays open. From what you are saying this is the not the case in
> Inkscape under GNOME.
>
> Let's just ignore Inkscape, and concentrate on an ideal SDI
> application, where each window  contains one document, and there are
> no shared control windows, as there are in the GIMP. I do not agree
> with you that File -> Quit should quit the program if there are
> multiple documents open.. In GIMP, closing the main toolbar should of
> course exit the application. But in the ideal SDI application, each
> open window represents a document. Clicking File->Quit should close
> the current File, and leave all the others open.

  You are describing File->Close, which is different from File->Quit.
Some programs have File->Quit (eg. Inkscape), other programs only have
File->Close (eg. Evince, Epiphany, Nautilus), and others have both (eg.
GEdit).

>  It does not make
> sense that clicking close on one document should close another.

  Maybe you're right.  Having only File->Close is more intuitive.  OTOH,
for more memory constrained systems, it's nice having File->Quit to for
an application process to terminate and free some memory.  Although you
could as well close all windows, I suppose...

> >   The main point of this is not saving duplicated code size; more
> > important is UI consistency across desktop applications.  The best way
> > to achieve consistency is of course to have a single implementation, as
> > GtkMessageDialog shows.
>
> You and Sven have both picked up on what I said as an after thought
> about code and binary size. As I said in my original mail, the aim of
> adding the common dialogue is because "it would help speed up GTK
> application development, promote a familiar desktop with common
> dialogue boxes, and help ensure HIG compliance".

  I'm not trying to pick on you :)

  Best regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.