Re: Proposal for making the GtkFileChooser code asynchronous

On 08/11/05 09:14, Murray Cumming wrote:

>>I would say that it is clear that we are going to break the API completely
>>here, and also not continuing to support the old API.  Third party code
>>should not notice anything of these changes, except for third party code
>>using the GtkFileSystem API.  Since the GtkFileSystem API is not
>>supported,
>>

>We might consider GNOME to be 3rd-party code. If someone installs this
>future GTK+ 2.10 without also updating the rest of GNOME then GNOME would
>be broken. Smart package-managers would prevent this situation, of course.
>Maybe we can live with that.

The only part of Gnome that makes use of this API is the gnome-vfs
GtkFileSystem implementation, which is installed in
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.so on my system.

Provided that the new version of GTK doesn't look in that directory for
filesystem implementations, then upgrading should not cause any crashes
(although apps would no longer be able to select non-local files).

So if the two packages were not upgraded in lock-step, you'd just lose
features rather than create instability.

James.