Re: Distinguish column header from normal button

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 12:18 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2005/9/14, Todd Berman <tberman off net>:
> > Although, I guess if this means the hacky stuff theme authors do to see
> > if the widget's parent is a treeview, or clist, or etree (in clearlooks
> > case) would be removed, and then widget authors could just pass in the
> > proper detail to the paint_box calls would end up being a win. But only
> > once all themes support it, until then, they would have to figure out
> > which way the theme uses to detect it needs to draw a treeview header
> > and act accordingly.
>
> Are you really suggesting that implementing a good way to do things
> should be pending on <insert good estimate of amount> hackily
> implemented themes to be fixed (to the implementation that doesn't
> exist) or working around those hackily implemented themes?
>
> Sounds like a bad suggestion to me.

No. But I am suggesting that breaking working applications and themes
seems like a clear ABI break, and doesn't sound like a good thing to do.

I don't like the way it currently works, as it was a headache to get it
working for myself, and assume it is somewhat of one for others as well.

However, breaking the way it seems to have been working since gtk+ 2.0
seems just as bad and as much of a headache as it being somewhat of a
hack in the first place.

> Good themes wwould be fixed promptly anyway (by social pressure or by
> contributions), bad ones are not that critical ;)

Tell that to the users using those 'bad' themes.

--Todd