Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

* Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> schrieb:

<snip>
> > >   Maybe just moving deprecated widgets to a separate library, like
> > > libgtk2.0-compat.la, would be a better solution?  We'd get well
> > > maintained applications to avoid linking to this library, while at the
> > > same time keeping it around for those apps that just need it and whose
> > > authors are stuburn enough to not want to update.
> > So let those apps depend on GTK+-2.x, like many depend on 1.2 now.
> > Moving widgets to separate library will require some changes in related
> > apps anyway.
>
> This gets proposed repeatedly, Unfortunately, it does not offer
> significant benefits that would justify the costs of doing this.
> Splitting GTK+ into multiple shared libraries increases the cost of
> symbol resolution. It does not reduce the memory consumption

You're right, as long as we're talking about splitting such silly
borders as proposed.

We instead should move larger/more complex widgets and dialogs to
their own library, or better to their own package.
For example I dont see any reason for having something like a printer
dialog layout around on my system if no one really uses it.

<snip>
> significantly, since all the deprecated functions are unlikely to be
> paged in anyway. It does complicate the build considerably.

Build would become much simplier if we had a bunch of smaller libs,
divided on clear and useful borders.
Well, it could even easier if we had an simple and deterministic
buildsystem, but that's another story ...

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact metux de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481