Re: GTK+ canvas?

On 8/30/06, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
Hi,

I posted some sort of blue-sky canvas ideas a year ago:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-August/msg00067.html

Since then I've learned HTML/CSS much more thoroughly and also used
Flash a bit. And in the last week needed to write a canvas in 2-3 days
to use for Mugshot. Which is maybe interesting as a case study - "if you
had to strongly prioritize features since you only have 2-3 days, what
would be really important for a real-world application"

The code is here:
http://svn.mugshot.org/dumbhippo/trunk/client/linux/src/hippo-canvas-item.c
http://svn.mugshot.org/dumbhippo/trunk/client/linux/src/hippo-canvas.c
http://svn.mugshot.org/dumbhippo/trunk/client/linux/src/hippo-canvas-box.c
http://svn.mugshot.org/dumbhippo/trunk/client/linux/src/hippo-canvas-text.c

Remember, written in a few days for a single app; not intended to become
a maintained library API. The HippoCanvasBox is the base class for all
the items, i.e. all items are containers.

This seem to imply a box based layout for the canvas, similar to the gtk one. In one of your previous canvas posts you was talking of more powerful layout managers (to be able to layout widgets around a shape for example). Something turned down that idea?

I think the biggest question about a canvas in gtk in my mind really is
this thing about "how far to go" - how do you define the thing, both in
absolute terms, and relative to the core gtkwidget/gtkcontainer stuff.

+1

Marco