Re: gtk-quartz for osx

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, electroteque wrote:

I'd like to know, ive given up and now installing xorg via fink "slowly"

Me too, and probably many others. GTK will currently run "OK" on OS X in X11 mode, but IMO this is really a "hackers only" mode, since apps have to started in a special way and do not behave as Mac users expect (to put it mildly).

We have "native" GTK on win32, and that's very nice. It seems that "native" GTK on OS X has been given less priority. Partly, of course, that's because there are very much fewer OS X users than win32 users. But I suspect it's also partly because developers tend to think, "Well, you can run GTK under X11 on the Mac, so what's the fuss?"

I speak as someone who uses Linux exclusively, so I have no direct personal gain in view. Simply, as someone who likes to prolesytize GTK, it would be great to have a functional native GTK on OS X, and not just for OS X 10.4.+

Allin Cottrell