Re: Sinkability: usefull in language bindings ? [was: Re: Sinkability considered harmful]

muppet wrote:
On Jan 4, 2006, at 11:51 PM, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

Excuse me but I still dont register, why can you assume that
a function returning a GtkObject cant return an added reference ?

Excuse my intermittent "dropping off the planet" ;-)

Such special cases such as that are handled as special cases. I can recall implementing a few, but can't recall which ones off the top of my head.

Long story short, lest it get lost:

- there is truth to the assertion that floating can aid language  bindings.

I do understand that "floating" objects as a concept may be usefull
to language bindings; since it seemingly provides an interface for
"single anonymous ownership", but as you concede, there are still
special-cases to be handled.

- nevertheless, i dislike the inconsistency of semantics and would rather not have it.

Agreed.

Cheers,
                           -Tristan