Re: The printing work has been merged

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 00:22 -0600, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 23:03 -0600, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> >

> >>First, how is all the printing stuff supposed to be used? Namely,
> >>how settings are going to be managed, what settings should be
> >>handled globally by gtk, and what should be handled by application?
> >>Is it going to be like in windows, where you use Page Setup to
> >>change settings in the given application, and click Printer Properties (?)
> >>button to get dialog to modify global settings? In other words,
> >>what do I do to get GtkPrintOperation object which is fully set
> >>up according to user preference?
> >>

> >This is application specific.  Basically you have a settings object
> >which can be sent to the dialog as a default.  We can also look at
> >making global settings but we haven't really though about it.  This is
> >perhaps better left to a layer above (like
> >gnome_get_default_printer_settings or something of that nature).
> >

> But non-gnome application can't use that. Before, it did make
> sense to use gnomeprint to get printing functionality, but now,
> as printing gets into gtk, it's weird to have to use gnome only
> to get printer settings (and on windows it's just impossible).
> Shouldn't it be in GTK, so that gnome, or xfce, or whoever else
> could use it?

I don't understand why you would need a call to get the default printer
settings. Of course the dialog comes up with the printer defaults if you
do nothing special.

> I have two more questions:
> What about preview? Will there be some PrintOperation::draw_preview
> or something?

Print preview isn't handled yet. We'll see how it turns out. There is no
need for a draw_preview of course, since the normal draw_page works
fine.

> And, is it possible to have some progress dialog for the stuff between
> begin_print and end_print? It's possible to make a custom one, of course,
> but some stock one would be certainly better.

Not yet, but we plan to emit some sort of signals for things like this.
Not only between begin_print and end_print, but also between end_print
and the paper actually comming out of the printer.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a sword-wielding alcoholic cop who dotes on his loving old ma. She's a
manipulative junkie widow with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight
crime!