Re: Concerns about print preview implementation

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 18:44 +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> >> * As explained many times when evince was created, the evince UI is so neat because it was
> >> thought with a clear use case in mind: multipages documents in portrait mode. However not all
> >> gtk apps that do printing are document oriented: think of CAD apps, image editors and probably
> >> others: is the evince UI well suited for previewing those documents?
> >
> > In what way to you see the print preview widget ui will be significantly
> > different from that of evince though? Aren't they gonna be pretty
> > similar, with next/prev buttons and some way to zoom and scroll around.
>
> Yes, that's true. However by using a normal widget the app could always
> replace it with a custom or derived widget which provides actions
> specific to their kind of document.

So, you want an API where you can completely replace the print preview
widget?

> >>  * preview embedding: for instance gedit currently embeds the preview in the tab and we are pretty happy
> >> with it. Sure, someone may argue that we should not do it, but I don't think that this kind of policy decisions
> >> belong in a toolkit. Beside there may be other apps where an embedded preview may make even more sense.
> >
> > This does complicate the API a bit though. For instance, I'm not sure
> > how easy that would be to do with the win32 native dialogs.
>
> I may be missing something here: note that by 'embedded' I mean embedded
> in the app, not in the native dialog, so it would be a normal gtk
> widget.

Still, there is a native dialog around, with all the mainloop vs win32
mainloop using native dialogs. I guess if we close the print dialog
when showing the print preview that might be solvable, but as I said
earlier, is that really the behaviour we want?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scarfaced soccer-playing vagrant on the run. She's a radical
extravagent college professor operating on the wrong side of the law. They
fight crime!