Re: elastic tabstops implemented for GTK

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 12:06 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
And how will this look e.g. to Python, which generally doesn't even like
tabs?  Variable width tabs will likely cause havoc in Python programs...
As Nick said, Python is just fine with tabs!
Now, if you did the exact same thing, but behind the scenes inserted
spaces instead of tab characters, then it would be nice.
His GEdit plugin supports this, but it's a lossy conversion. When reading back the 0x20s, you have to try to figure out what was supposed to be a tab, and I'm sure you might get some false positives eventually, unless there's something I'm missing.

I really can't wait to get this functionality, it finally puts an end to all of the nonsense over how many spaces there should be in a tab!