Re: [directfb-dev] [directfb-users] Problems in GdkWindow Events with Gtk - DirectFb backend

Semi Flame coming :)

Gtk is not a cross platform widget library. Its been ported to some extent.
The use of native windows for widgets for example is a design flaw.
It also exposes a lot of concepts that make assumptions about the
underlying system the ability to embed
a widget from one process into another and keep above for example.

DirectFB gets around these types of problems by having the concept of
capabilities that can be queried
at runtime and you can then consider fallbacks.

Other widget libraries like WX widgets and even QT are more cross
platform friendly in design.

Now in working on GTK/DirectFB I realized that DirectFB itself was not
as flexible as I believe it should be.
DirectFB should  be a base for any sort of multi application graphical
design including
one similar to X11.  Recent releases and concepts Denis is working on
are making DirectFB more flexible every day.  Eventually we should
have a windowing environment that fits the assumptions made by Gdk and
other approaches that I'm personally more interested in.

Back on the Gtk side I think its time to consider a Gtk 3 series that
is designed around a small core that can
be implemented on top of a minimal rootless windowing environment with
the code repackaged as plugins.
I doubt that this will happen instead Gtk seems to be suffering the
same complexity creep that all the other application frameworks suffer
from.

At the end of the day these large frameworks lose most of the benefits
provided by open source and your reduced to the ability to at best fix
a few superficial bugs.

So I'm sorry if Gtk/DirectFB does net meet your needs but I'm done
with massive inflexible frameworks I believe that are not the right
way to build things if you really believe in open source. They have
brought in a horrible design concept from the closed source world.

Flame off :)