Re: Suggested even/odd convention for the micro version numbers (like cairo)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:22:32 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 13:08 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > The problem I see with the proposed scheme is that we can't
> > fit step (e) into it, since 2.12.2 is never in SVN.  With our
> > current scheme, you can do this:
> The cairo repository shows that also the even release version is
> committed and this commit is then tagged.

Since cairo also uses git, we do the "bump; tag; bump" sequence as
local commits that are pushed atomically. So the released version is
available in the history and can be checked out by its tag. But at no
point will someone that is tracking the head of development get a
build that results in an even-numbered version.

I do regard the approach as quite successful for cairo, for what
that's worth.

-Carl