Re: Out of Date Webpages

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 06:01 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 3/14/07, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang gmail com> wrote:
> > >
> > > for the moment, yes.
> > > and please let us know if you already have commit access or not.
> >
> > I was worried that some developers would complain about html patches
> > dirtying the list, but then thanks if you'll look and commit the
> > patches since I don't have commit rights.
>
> * There's 3 directories in svn (branches, tags, trunk), and it seems
> only 'trunk' should be kept since the others are horribly outdated (~5
> years) and just duplicate info of each other and that of 'trunk'.
> Could someone remove them since I don't see their use.

this is how SVN repositories work: trunk/ is roughly equivalent to CVS
HEAD branch; the branches/ and tags/ directories are used to store
specific branches and to tag a specific version. since the web site for
gtk+ (and for GNOME, for that matter) are stored in SVN and regenerated
via cron jobs, that explains the presence of those two directories.

> * I don't know too much how web technologies work but I expected that
> if I open trunk/index.html I should see a page similar to that found
> in www.gtk.org, but in svn's html, there's no left-hand table and no
> pictures for example.

the script that regenerates the site includes the various common
sections of the site (top, bottom and side bars) using comments in the
HTML file. consider it a poor man's PHP, if you want. :-)

> * I see www.gtk.org (dated Dec 2006) hasn't been updated to latest svn
> (dated Jan 2007).

yeah, it's known; when GNOME migrated from CVS to SVN the scripts
weren't updated. we can also drop the cron job and use the commit hook
script that SVN provides, now.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--