Re: Smooth Scrolling

Le mardi 27 mars 2007 à 09:00 -0600, Michael L Torrie a écrit :
> Smooth scrolling is only good if it is very fast (as fast as without
> smooth scrolling) and totally synchronized with both the redraw and the
> mouse wheel's speed, in order to eliminate tearing and stuttering.  I
> think we're finally to the point where it could be done right.

It depends. On my Athlon64 3000+, scrolling the listview in Evolution
lags quite a bit (I can manage a 1s lag).

> IE 5,  if I recall correctly, had smooth scrolling and it was the first
> thing most I turned off because it was so annoying.  It had a constant
> lag and, because of the scroll "steps" (ie one click of the scroll wheel
> is so many lines) it would hesitate and appear to stutter.  Half the
> time it would have to catch up to you.  Was awful.

I know what you mean, but CygnusEd's scrolling had a bit of lag and was
really good to use. Unlike IE's scroll which looks like it starts a bit
after you move the wheel, it felt light and natural.
Does anyone know of a current texteditor/testwidget with smooth
scrolling that works well ?

	Xav