Re: gtk website draft

Colin Walters wrote:

Hi,

> The first thing I would consider is how different the potential audiences
> visiting the page are.
>
> If they're a Linux user, GTK+ almost certainly came preinstalled, and they
> are most likely
> to be interested in API documentation, links to bindings, etc.
>
> If they're a Windows user, GTK+ is almost certainly *not* installed, and
> they would be interested
> in installing it.  Having an official Windows development installation
> process is important.  I would
> make sure it's on the main page.
>
> You could do the browser detection trick to display separate content for
> these people, like what
> the Firefox page and lots of others do.

I did actually post about this idea to the list, but no one has actually
replied about it yet. Mostly I made the point about the Windows and Mac
building/development part, since we get a lot of questions about that on
the lists.

The browser detection idea is not bad actually, I think we should use that.

> Along these lines for both, please seriously consider giving mature
> bindings
> like PyGTK a very
> prominent link.  I don't think a lot of people realize just how awesome
> PyGTK is - you can create an
> app in just a few lines of code, and it will run on both Linux and Windows
> incredibly easily.
> In particular, Windows developers are not very likely to be interested in
> programming in C
> (not that Linux developers are either, but they are more so).

I partially agree here. I think for Windows ONLY developers, yes you are
right to some extent, for people wanting cross platform development WITH
Windows, I would say those people are more interested with programming
C. I wouldn't presume either because of the OS detection by the browser
though.

Why PyGTK should be any more prominent than gtkmm or any of the other
bindings?

Martyn