Re: Print preview widget

Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 14:20 -0400 schrieb Behdad Esfahbod:
> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 11:14 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> >
> > I can write a program where both of these are correct:
> >
> >         Display to screen: App->Cairo->Screen
> >         Print to PDF:      App->Cairo->PDF
> >
> > But the following is totally broken:
> >
> >         Print preview:     App->Cairo->PDF->Cairo->Screen
> >
> > And that's simply because there are bugs in poppler, which does the
> > PDF->Cairo step, and poppler isn't actually involved in either the
> > display-to-screen or print-to-pdf scenarios.
>
> Sure.  But if you are printing to PDF and sending that PDF over to
> someone, there's advantage in the preview showing what your friend will
> be seeing when opening the PDF in evince...
>
> All these said, not sure what GTK-printing actually generates.  If it's
> PS, it may be hitting a completely different set of bugs...

The problem with using an external application for print previews is,
that you cannot embed it into your own UI, that you cannot remote
control it. You absolutely need that features when integrating the print
preview into some kind of work-flow, like order processing for instance.
Using an external application really doesn't work here.

The round trip testing argument is artificial. You use test suites for
round trip management. For print preview there are situations were you
want ultimate control over the preview canvas.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/