Re: Units and resolution independence for gtk+

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:40 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> I think in general you want the UI elements to scale along with how big
> the font appears on the screen; in other words, I think em is a more
> natural unit than point. But I'm no expert.

Different means of interaction (eg touch vs mouse) might call for
different font-size to widget-size ratios.

Eye-sight and motor-skills are not directly linked.

Finally, one might want to play with this relation for purely
theming/aesthetic reasons.

Of course, one could use a base font-size without any text using it
directly. To use base-font * multiplier.

This is really great and important work!

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/