Re: Units and resolution independence for gtk+

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> I think what I mean is that most of the UI should use units in points,
> not in em's.  That is, increasing font size should not necessarily
> increase all UI elements.  I can't think of any concrete cases though.

I can, just because _always_ decrease font sizes from 10-12 (GNOME
default IIRC) to 8-9.  Just for personal convenience and aesthetic
reasons.  But in the same time I'm quite happy with sizes of UI
elements.  And obviously don't want to have different scrollbar's
widths just because different windows use different fonts

Also, using the EM instead of points will lead you in the problem
quickly when more than one font occurred to be involved in drawing.
While fonts are "compatible" by metrics (e.g. Bitstream Vera and
DejaVu) -- no problems.  But when you need, for example, Sans (usually
from Vera) and Courier (usually Courier New form msfonts) -- troubles
may occur.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew w nosenko gmail com>