Re: Translucent Scrollbars

2008/8/19 Christian Dywan <christian imendio com>:
> Am Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:17:10 +0200
> schrieb Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>:
>
>> When looking at some Android screen shots[1] I've realized that their
>> scrollbars are translucent. That's a really nice idea IMHO.
>> I wonder if we can implement this feature in GTK+.
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Mathias
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-34358-7.html#backToArticle=572913
>
> Hey Mathias,
>
> your example, and for that matter all screenshots with scrollbars on
> the linked site, is particularly a web browser.
>
> Are you thinking of a web widget only or generally of any widgets in
> Gtk that can be embedded in scrollbars? The latter might involve
> non-trivial changes, looking at how isolated scrollbars normally are
> from their child, there are even thick borders between the child and
> the scrollbars in the dozen engines/ themes I have tested here when
> writing this.

Before even starting to think of all the layout-related technical
details, one should stop to think if one really wants interesting
content to be underneath mouse-usable scrollbars (ie. unreachable) and
why...

Then again, for a panned content, scrollbars that are translucent or
even on-screen only when panning make perfect sense. However, I
suppose such discussions should be deferred to a point in time that
GTK+ actually has some notion of panning.

Which would be nice, btw.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi