Image saving framework

Hi,

Arc and I are writing a GdkPixbuf plugin that wraps Window's GDI+
library. This library supports loading and saving a variety of
formats, such as PNG, JPEG, GIF, WMF, EMF, TIFF, ...

I'd like to implement saving to PNG/JPEG/whatever from the plugin.
GdkPixbuf's architecture allows you to handle multiple formats in the
same plugin. Unfortunately, the GDK_PIXBUF_FORMAT_WRITABLE flag means
that all of your formats are writable. Worse still, GdkPixbuf assumes
that a plugin is only capable of saving to a single format, so it
doesn't bother passing that format to the plugin's save function.

Is there time to change the plugin API? Otherwise, each format capable
of being written to will need its own plugin. Of course, these will be
shallow wrappers around shared functionality, but it's annoying to say
the least.

Dom