[GDK] Unique GdkDrawable - on and off screen

I try to write my own widget. However I need to have access to internals
of gdk. I am afraid that I am not fully understend it so I would like to
have few question about GDK and GTK+.

1. I would like to ask is it possible to create a separate object which I
could attach/detach from widget and which would have the same XID (the
only thing I need the XID for is XVideo via gstream so in fact I know
little about XLib and X11 - only base information[1])?

2. Along writing I found out that I have to overload release method (the
oly tutorial I've found was based on GtkDrawArea and metioned nothing
about it[2]). I try to look on the code of GtkProgress, and althought I
found the realize method I cannot found the unrealize. Is it unnecessary
(ie. automatic cleanup), is it a bug or I need it, but there is
unnecessary?

Regards and sorry for base questions

[1] Ie. what's the components of X11 etc. - but not about programming in
Xlib.

[2] http://gnomejournal.org/article/34/writing-a-widget-using-cairo-and-
gtk28
--
I've probably left my head... somewhere. Please wait untill I find it.
Homepage (pl_PL): http://uzytkownik.jogger.pl/