GtkStatusbar and its GtkBox interface.

Hi,

I had a look at the source of GtkStatusbar after having failed to give it an extra child and have it look properly. The problem is that extra children are drawn overlapping the frame of the status bar, instead of inside the frame (only checked win32). Internally there is just one child in the frame: the label of the status bar. So anyone wanting to display extra widgets /inside/ the frame (why would you want anything else) will have to replace the frame's child -- which should be considered hacking with private data.

A recent revision (#19245) makes GtkStatusbar detect just this hack and support it, and I wonder whether this is going to be recommended practice. Wouldn't it be better to change the implementation and give the frame an hbox and put any extra children in there, alongside the label?

This is itching me (I want an occasional progress bar in there) and I may be able to propose a patch if there is any interest.

Best regards,
Bastiaan.