Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

Colin Leroy skrev:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:51:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

IMO, if you're still using GtkCTree and GtkCList, which were
deprecated when GTK+ 2.0 was released 6 years ago, you're asking for
trouble.

Well, they do work for us. When GTK+ 2.0 was released six years ago, we
were already too busy with the rest of the rewriting code-that-worked to
do it. Two years and nine days, exactly, between the first commit to
the GTK2 branch and the first GTK2 release after 497 commits. And we
never came to replace the GtkCtrees because a) they work and b) we
didn't have the time/motivation.
The tooltips should be easy to port, the tree and list widgets less
so, which is why it should have started quite some time ago...

and the GtkItemFactory are huge to port too. And probably there is
more; I've just looked at the first batch of compilation errors using
GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED.

As Mathias said, a libgtk-legacy (or -compat or whatever) seems a good
idea and (in my application developer's opinion) least that can be done
for the users of the GTK+ lib.

Having a libgtk-compat library sounds like a good idea. We discussed it during Guadec a year or two ago but the discussion was then about whether it would be possible to move the deprecated calls into a separate library without breaking ABI which from my understanding it isn't on Linux.

It sure would lessen the burden for applications still using deprecated widgets (which is the hard part of the ABI break).

Cheers,
  Mikael

--
Mikael Hallendal