Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 11:20 +0200, Colin Leroy wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:51:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > IMO, if you're still using GtkCTree and GtkCList, which were
> > deprecated when GTK+ 2.0 was released 6 years ago, you're asking for
> > trouble.
>
> Well, they do work for us. When GTK+ 2.0 was released six years ago, we
> were already too busy with the rest of the rewriting code-that-worked to
> do it. Two years and nine days, exactly, between the first commit to
> the GTK2 branch and the first GTK2 release after 497 commits. And we
> never came to replace the GtkCtrees because a) they work and b) we
> didn't have the time/motivation.

No offense, but we went through a very similar process with Ardour (very
similar time duration anyway), yet one of the top priority items for us
was to remove CList and CTree and switch to TreeView as soon as we had
figured out how to use it. It seemed VERY clear to us that the
deprecated state of CList and CTree made that extremely important. I
would not have considered a release that had not transitioned to
TreeView and for the most part, the widget has been good to us (or it
was, until we started work on the native OS X version).

For ItemFactory, we made the switch to GtkActions and the UIManager,
which massively improved the design of our software (albeit in ways that
I think the rest of Gtk still needs to catch up with, especially key
handling).