Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

Am 18.07.2008 15:32, Owen Taylor schrieb:
On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 13:15 +0200, Colin Leroy wrote:
[...]
The 1.x -> 2.0 change was painful for everyone who had an app that needed porting, however I find it pretty irrelevant in comparison to 2.x -> 3.0.
Well, if no libgtk-compat is planned, it will be about as painful
for users of the deprecated and removed widgets/functions.

Possibly the constructive question here is:

 What sort of messaging would have convinced you to have moved
 away from the deprecated widgets?

For me the answer is simple (being application developer for Dia and longtime gtk+/win32 contributor): porting Dia to gtk+-2.0 and keeping gtk+-2.0 useable for win32 just did not leave enough spare time to keep pace with all the deprecations ;)

I don't see the virtue of a gtk1-compat library... it's just shuffling
non-maintainership around forever.
My attempt to a constructive answer is: just let the people who need the compatibility keep gtk-2.x alive within the GNOME infrastructure.

For this it would be very helpful to have a clean release of gtk+-2.x including all the GSEAL stuff but also compatibiity to continue iterative porting before gtk+-3.0 gets released, which would break compatibility.

For me the hardest part in the transition from 1.2 to 2.0 was the lack of gtk+-1.4 which would have included all the win32 porting done on 1.3 without the API breakages.

I'd suggest people can just cut,
paste, and rename the things into their own code if they are so
attached to the code.

IMO having this deprecated stuff copied and pasted into a lot of applications would be a distributed maintenance nightmare.

Regards,
	Hans