Re: setting up a gtk dev environment

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Patrick Hallinan
<patrick j hallinan gmail com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:24 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:08 -0400, Patrick Hallinan wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I wish to help with the development of gtk+ but I'm not having any fun
>> > trying to setup a build environment for gtk+.  I've looked for help at
>> > www.gtk.org/development.html and developer.gnome.org. I have tried using
>> > jhbuild from  http://svn.gnome.org/svn/jhbuild/trunk. No dice.
>>
>> "no dice" doesn't really add up to a bug report on jhbuild. hundreds,
>> perhaps thousands, of people use that as a way to build and maintain the
>> GTK stack from svn. what was your problem with it?
>>

> I guess you are saying that I should be using jhbuild to get a gtk+
> build environment?
>
> I'm using the subversion trunk for jhbuild which I didn't assume was
> stable.  I get the output below when I try "jhbuild bootstrap"
>
> Making all in libguile
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/patrick/repo/gnome2/guile-1.8.3/libguile'
> make  all-am
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/patrick/repo/gnome2/guile-1.8.3/libguile'
> if [ "no" = "yes" ]; then \
>                gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I.. -c -o c-tokenize.o
> c-tokenize.c; \
>        else \
>                gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -I..    -g -O2 -Wall
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -c -o c-tokenize.o c-tokenize.c; \
>        fi
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> <stdout>:1536: error: 'input' defined but not used
> make[3]: *** [c-tokenize.o] Error 1

That's actually a warning, and because of the -Werror flag, it is
treated as an error.
I do not know why Werror would be enabled. If you cannot find the reason,
then when the compilation fails and you get the jhbuild options as to
what to do,
pick Option 4 which gives you a shell. Enter the guile directory and
fix up what you can.

If you check at the JhAutobuild website, you can see recent jhbuild
sessions from people
that opted in to have the information made available online. From what
I see, there are no
failed builds due to guile (guile is not compiled).

So, one thing you can do is try jhbuild again and enable to send the
logs to JhAutobuild,
http://live.gnome.org/JhAutobuild

Simos