Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:40 +0200, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:

> Basically, something like this:
>
> 	http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/properties.html
>
> When reading this and other Qt documents, one realizes that a large
> technological gap separates GLib/GTK+ and Qt.

I don't want to start a flame war over old hat, but statements like this
shouldn't go unchallenged. GLib/GTK+ chose a different technology as a
base than Qt did (C vs. C++, and no pre-processing source versus
preprocessing source). As a result, some things that are easy in Qt are
hard in GTK+, but the reverse is true as well. If you want to see a
system that works more like Qt's (but better IMHO), you have only to
look to gtkmm.

>  Fortunately, Imendio has
> impressive plans for GTK+ 3.0 (things that developers of client code
> have been wanting for years, such as the removal of deprecated code or
> the mangling of fields), so one can rest assured that this gap is
> going to be closed in no time.

i've been developing GTK apps for about 9 years, and I can assure you
that removal of deprecated code or field mangling has never, ever, ever
been an issue in the process.

much bigger issues for me have been the lack of a good, supported, fast
canvas widget, the lack of non-resize-crazed label widgets, font sizing
difficulties and the lack of DnD from treeviews to other widgets. i
don't believe fixing any of these is particularly central to 3.0.

--p