Re: Move to LGPL3

Lieven van der Heide wrote:
Ok, according to the matrix on

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility

it's indeed not allowed, although I don't really understand why.

Mathias pointed out exactly why. It's not that linking GPLv2-only to LGPLv3 violates the LGPLv3 license of the library. Linking a GPLv2-only app to a LGPLv3 library actually violates the app's its own license. The GPL in general doesn't allow linking to libraries with more restrictive licenses[1], and the LGPLv3 is more restrictive than GPLv2-only.

	-brian

[1] The exception being for supposed "platform" libraries; e.g., you can link to Microsoft's C runtime even though it's closed source because it's a standard interface that can be considered part of the OS. I believe Sven quoted the exact bit from the GPL in another post.