Re: Moving "Open with" to the platform

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 17:05 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 16:49 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > I think having a dbus api for nautilus is an excellent idea. Suitable
> > operations include things like:
> >
> > * list open windows and locations
> > * open a window
> > * reload windows showing a location
> > * modify selection in a window
>
> Again why not, but I can't see the use case, except maybe for some
> plugins.

Theser are not really meant to be used by developers of other
applications, but for users and sysadmins scripting nautilus.

> > * modify nautilus metadata like notes and emblems
>
> Great, but I also would like to see and use this metadata in other apps
> (e.g. be able to tag a song or a movie in a media player). Should it
> live in gio also ?

While having a common metadata database has some merit it is also an
extremenly complex problem (both technically and socially). GIO instead
tries to solve a very well defined and understood problem domain that
can be expected to work well and supported on multiple platforms. I
don't think jamming experimental things like metadata into glib is a
very good idea, at least at this point.