test locations

Hi,

This is about 5694ab7642c9ba6fbb85424e71d1c42c17661dd1 and the
location of tests.
When hacking on gio, I had complained that make always decided to
rebuild the tests in gio/tests while I was hacking on the library.
That has quite a few inconveniences:
- It results in increased output while building and in turn me not
noticing compiler warnings or even error messages (when running make
-j)
- It results in increased build time, because it not only rebuilds the
one file I changed, but all tests, too.
So after getting an ok from Alex, I moved the files into tests/gio/,
and got what I wanted.

Apparently this was not the desired result, as Matthias moved them
back. I tried to read up in the git log about why, but didn't find
anything conclusive. So I'm wondering:
- Should tests be located in $LIB/tests or tests/$LIB and why?
- Is there a reason for tests being in both $LIB/tests and tests/$LIB?
- Why are the tests built during "make" and not only for "make check"?
Which are all really just subquestions in helping solve the most
important question for me:
- How can I solve the two problems listed above?

I assume that long-term, these problems will only be getting worse as
more tests are added.

Cheers,
Benjamin