Re: test locations

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Benjamin Otte<otte gnome org> wrote:

> Apparently this was not the desired result, as Matthias moved them
> back. I tried to read up in the git log about why, but didn't find
> anything conclusive. So I'm wondering:
> - Should tests be located in $LIB/tests or tests/$LIB and why?
> - Is there a reason for tests being in both $LIB/tests and tests/$LIB?

tests/ is the old location that was used for scattered tests, before
we had the unified test framework we have now. tests were moved from
tests/ to $LIB/tests as there were integrated in the test framework.

Having the tests in $LIB/tests makes sense to me for a number of reasons:
a) Moves the tests closer to the code
b) cd $LIB; make check actually tests the library with all available tests

> - Why are the tests built during "make" and not only for "make check"?

That is certainly something that can be fixed. I'd welcome a patch to so.

Matthias