Re: Native file chooser dialog on Windows

Am Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:01 +0200
schrieb Jernej Simončič <jernej listsonly ena si>:

> On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:33:12 -0400 (EDT), Allin Cottrell wrote:
>
> > IMO this is now pretty much of a non-issue, since the current GTK
> > file selection dialog is sufficiently like Windows (but nicer!).
>
> For the values of nicer that match "much slower", "worse autocomplete
> behaviour than the native dialog", "less useful Places list" and
> "confusing gradual display of network locations" (the first time I
> tried opening something from my fileserver I thought some of my
> directories went missing because the GTK+ dialog displayed about a
> tenth of all folders at first, and then very slowly added the rest in
> about 15-second intervals; there's also the weird behaviour when you
> type a directory name, press Enter, see the Open button depress and
> jump out again - and then nothing happens, because the dialog expects
> a \ at the end to actually change to that directory).

As unfortunate as it is, this is not a sole Win32 problem. The file
chooser has started to host numerous issues and regressions some
time ago. All Gtk platforms would benefit from improvements.

That said, I personally hate seeing any non-Gtk file chooser on my
linux machines, be it tk, qt, wine or even peculiar Gtk applications.
And I know mac users who feel accordingly regarding gtk apps on their
mac. Based on that assumption, I would think native file
choosers on foreign systems would be very attractive.

Just my 2 pfennig,
    Christian