Re: GIO will link with -pthread soon

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:
> [...]
>> fact by the threading system ? [ I was never persuaded that glib's
>> demand to initialize threads before any other line of code was remotely
>> reasonable either BTW ;-]

Well actually thats correct that its unreasonable, and the only reason its
so confusing is because there have been available libraries in the past
that do this under-the-hood initialization of threads.

In a slightly more perfect world, when you initialize a said library
that needs threads but you did not initialize them, then you should
get a critical error "threads not initialized, aborting" or such.

... and then the app programmer would end up in the docs for
GThread, which might explain in some simple terms why you
should initialize threads in your application before initializing any
libraries that are "thread aware", like GTK+.

Cheers,
     -Tristan