Re: Are Out-of-Tree Widgets Second-Class Citizens?

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 cornell edu> wrote:
> On 10/02/2009 07:17 AM, Allin Cottrell wrote:

>> These two responses (Cody's and Brian's) don't jive. Any more
>> clarification available? Thanks.
>
> Sure they do...  Cody said apps will have to use public APIs instead of
> accessing struct members directly.  I just pointed out that some things
> don't have accessor functions yet, which is a known issue, judging by
> other replies in the thread.

I'm not buying it. One of responses indicated that "GTK" could use
struct members directly. Clearly, its not intended for apps to do
this. The grey zone are  "out-of-tree widgets" ... are these GTK or
apps? they are surely neither, and the two descriptions conflict here.
hopefully either there is NO direct struct access, even for in-tree
widgets, or some mechanism for out-of-tree-widgets to break the seal,
so to speak.

--p