Re: Thumbnailing service project; opinions, suggestions?

Hey,

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:32:29 +0200
Mark <markg85 gmail com> wrote:

> Is this been done before?
> -------------------------
> Well, not done before but a group of people is doing it as we speak:
> http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec ... i mailed them roughly this
> mail a week ago to see if we could work together on this but i sadly
> had to conclude that their project is in the final stages before
> release 1

Let me just add that http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec has received
a hell lot of love recently. In its current state, the spec defines
versioned D-Bus interfaces and methods for:

  - requesting thumbnails asynchronously
  - requesting a list of supported URI scheme / MIME type pairs
  - requesting a list of supported schedulers
  - updating the thumbnail cache (e.g. as defined by the thumbnail
    managing standard) when files are deleted/moved/renamed
  - implementing specialized (custom or proprietary) thumbnailer
    services
  - registering specialized thumbnailer services at runtime

Specialized thumbnailer services can also be installed permanently by
installing a .desktop file into the system.

An earlier version of the spec was implemented by Philip (called
hildon-thumbnail). Earlier this year, I started a new implementation
called Tumbler. It can be found on

  http://git.xfce.org/apps/tumbler/

and is currently being prepared for inclusion in Xfce as well as Maemo
(http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/tumbler, replacing
hildon-thumbnail). Tumbler aims to be a complete implementation of the
spec. In addition to everything defined in the spec it also provides a
plugin API for thumbnailer and cache plugins (it currently ships a
GdkPixbuf and a FreeType font thumbnailer plugin as well as a cache
implementation for the thumbnail managing standard). This helps
reducing D-Bus traffic because on the desktop with applications like
file managers using it, it is kinda important not to have more than a
few services running for thumbnailing different file types.
At the moment, there are two different schedulers (for foreground and
background requests). The whole thing could probably use a little more
optimizing but it's in a pretty good shape already.

Thunar and Maemo are two very different usage examples for this and
the service works well with both of them, so I'd be happy to see more
people considering its use in the future. The first release is planned
for October or the beginning of November, so stay tuned!

Cheers,
Jannis

(P.S.: Please let us know if you think the specification is missing
 anything crucial. We're keen on making it better.)