Re: Thumbnailing service project; opinions, suggestions?

>> Can i get the:
>> - Git
>> - gnome sub domain
>> - blog for this project on planet gnome and/or gtk
>
> No one is bashing anything, but despite the many who agree, that this
> project is NOT a requirement for GNOME or GTK (and since it is only for
> school, a place that rots the brain) I would be shocked... SHOCKED... if
> they provided you with a GIT, a gnome sub domain, and a blog.

Then you have the wrong impression or didn't read everything.
It was supposed to be just a single place where all information and
progress would be collected.
It was not at all my intend to somehow just get my name on there.

Don't get me wrong. I can provide myself with all those requests bit
not on the gnome site and i would have preferred that.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 16:34 +0200, Mark wrote:
>
>> Now can we please quit bashing the idea that there will be 2
>> thumbnailing services in a few months time and can i get some
>> constructive feedback about the ideas in my first post?
>> Can i get the:
>> - Git
>> - gnome sub domain
>> - blog for this project on planet gnome and/or gtk
>
> gtk-devel-list is *really* not the right place for this kind of
> requests. Please read [1] for information about the GIT account
> requests, [2] for Planet GNOME and [3] for the GNOME website.
> Anyway, it seems to me that not having these kind of resources available
> right now (or even not having them at all) should not block any
> development of your project.
It's not blocking or holding the project.. but then it might just end
up on a local repository to never get released simply because i leave
it rot on my hdd.
It would just, for me, be nice that something that i make (also for
gnome) to be hosted on a oss project and gnome does seem to fit it.

> For what concerns the project itself, I don't like see people
> duplicating efforts; as others already told you, I really can't see the
> point of rush-writing a daemon that will be, in your own words, less
> functional than something which is already widely used in two big
> platforms and which has a well-defined spec many people already agreed
> upon. Unless you see something so fundamentally broken in the
> ThumanailerSpec or in Tumbler that could only be solved with a rewrite
> from scratch of everything.
I also hate to see myself duplicating something that is existing out
there but i learn a lot from it by doing so.

> If I were you, I would really make a step back and reconsider what other
> people proposed you, be it a specialized thumbnailer for some format, or
> a library with optimized thumbnailing algorithms with a demo test-drive
> thumbnailer attached.
If it wasn't a school project i would have done exactly that.
As said a few times. I can't take a step back. the projects outline is
set and must be made now.

And to all.
Don't get me wrong! I do still want to make this project and have been
doing thumbnail benchmarks for the last few months as a "startup" for
the project. I do have ideas on how to make it better, faster and
"cooler" and yes much of that is in tumbler (which i didn't know a few
months ago).

So, it seems this is going to be a project just for school with no
interesting parts for tumbler, glib or gnome in general. I would have
liked it seen different but learning a lot from this project is worth
a lot as well.