Re: application class thoughts

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 11:24 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>

>> A Cocoa-based mac integration library will be available soon, and the older Carbon-based ige-mac-integration will be deprecated in Gtk-OSX.
>
> As a followup to that semi-announcement, I have a naming question. Paul Davis wrote the first take on the menu part of the Cocoa library and named the application class GtkApplication, and the implementation file with objective-C calls gtkapplication-quartz.m.
> I've kept the class name while working on getting it ready for more general use (Paul's version was written partly in C++ and only implemented what he needed for Ardour). But I wonder if that's really an appropriate name, given that all that's in gapplication.c are 3 callbacks (there will be more callbacks when I'm done, but the guts of it need Objective-C and Cocoa calls).

the name came from a brief IRC discussion with kristian rietveld who
suggested that we really need a platform<->application integration
class for all platforms, not just OS X. which aspects of the class
would actually do anything on a given platform would vary, but the
idea was a single object that encapsulates all the ideas/abstractions
required for this integration.