Re: Gtk-OSX

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem gmail com> wrote:

> This is only partially true.  Some apps ship as an .mpkg installer,
> which  is really a bunch of separate, dependant packages that install
> together.  But under the hood they are installed as separate packages
> with dependency resolution.

That's true, I did ignore mpkg's. I'm not sure what the split is
between apps that distribute as a .app or a .mpkg ...

> As for users not expecting to have to install some dependency, on app in
> common use, MacFusion, requires that the MacFuse .pkg be installed.

This is an exception that proves the rule.

> Also Office 2008 requires the Rosetta .pkg package to be installed, but
> helpfully offers to install it for you.

Actually, this appears to just be just laziness on the part of MS.
Rosetta seems not to be needed:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/11/72330-install-microsoft-office-2008-snow-leopard-without-rosetta.html