Re: disabling GTK+ features to shrink GTK+

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Ziem <ahz001 gmail com> wrote:
> Would GTK+ upstream accept patches to disable GTK+ features?  For example,
>
>    ./configure --disable-file-chooser-disable
>
> would make the GtkFileChooser() an empty stub.
>
> I ship GTK+ in my application's Windows installer, and I'd like to
> shrink GTK+ because my application's dependencies are ~95% of the
> installer size and GTK+ is about half.  I tried other methods [1] with
> mixed results.

A more socially-minded approach would be to work on the problem of
sharing a GTK+ runtime between all apps on a system. It's perhaps not
an easy problem, due different requirements in versions and specific
libraries, but it's a more long-term solution to the problem of GTK+'s
big runtime than for each app using GTK+ on Windows to build and
distribute their own incompatible versions.

Sam