Re: events for no-window widgets

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Havoc Pennington <hp pobox com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been exploring how widgets with no GdkWindow could receive
> events. Here are some notes so far in case people have thoughts.
>
> Event Types
> ===
>
> Events separate very cleanly into "weird lowlevel stuff only matters
> for GdkWindow" and "things widgets in general including no-window
> widgets care about"
>
> A. Events all widgets care about have two subdivisions:
> A1. events that bubble: GDK_MOTION_NOTIFY, GDK_BUTTON_PRESS,
> GDK_2BUTTON_PRESS, GDK_3BUTTON_PRESS, GDK_BUTTON_RELEASE, GDK_SCROLL,
> GDK_KEY_PRESS, GDK_KEY_RELEASE
> A2. events that are glorified property notifies: GDK_ENTER_NOTIFY,
> GDK_LEAVE_NOTIFY, GDK_FOCUS_CHANGE
>
> B. Freaky events of interest only in context of GdkWindow or GdkDisplay:
> GDK_DELETE, GDK_DESTROY, GDK_EXPOSE, GDK_CONFIGURE, GDK_MAP,
> GDK_UNMAP, GDK_PROPERTY_NOTIFY, GDK_SELECTION_CLEAR,
> GDK_SELECTION_REQUEST, GDK_SELECTION_NOTIFY, GDK_PROXIMITY_IN,
> GDK_PROXIMITY_OUT, GDK_DRAG_ENTER, GDK_DRAG_LEAVE, GDK_DRAG_MOTION,
> GDK_DRAG_STATUS, GDK_DROP_START, GDK_DROP_FINISHED, GDK_CLIENT_EVENT,
> GDK_VISIBILITY_NOTIFY, GDK_NO_EXPOSE, GDK_WINDOW_STATE, GDK_SETTING,
> GDK_OWNER_CHANGE, GDK_GRAB_BROKEN, GDK_DAMAGE

i think you might want to consider MAP and UNMAP (and possibly
VISIBILITY_NOTIFY too) as being in section A2. i know that as they
stand, these refer to GdkWindows, but by implication they also apply
to widgets within the window.

in addition, is it really true that drag events are of interest only
in the context of GdkWindow or GdkDisplay?