Re: Updated GTK+ 2.24.5 binaries (and bundle)

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:27:33AM +0200, Maarten Bosmans wrote:

> As I also noted in the just updated wiki-page, that approach has been
> tried before and AFAIK is currently abandoned. Gtk applications are
> supposed to come with there own Gtk libraries. Doing that globally
> causes all kinds of problems. Remember that some applications might
> expect the Gtk libraries to be a specific versions or to be compiled
> by a specific compiler. These are all things that can be tightly
> managed in a Linux distro, but not in the Windows world.

Applications with specific needs should handle things in a specific
way. I don’t think the peculiar needs of a bunch of applications should
force all other application to increase the maintenance burden and the
target system to carry around several copies of the same library.

That said, since I’m not volunteering to write the little embedded
package manager I would like to see employed by the GNOME stack on win32
and I’m sure the people that tried and abandoned that approach before
me are way smarter than I am, I’m going to stop here.

> On the other hand, proper dependency tracking is important to allow
> the application developer to decide which binaries he needs to package
> with his application installer. The current situation on the ftp site
> is that you should either use the all-in-one bundle or hunt down all
> the separate zipfiles that are needed. That situation should be
> improved.

Since AFAIR the bundle only contains the GNOME stack up to GTK+, the
maintainer of any application using, say, libxml2, is forced to hunt down
single libraries even if he decides to go the bundle way.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>