Re: www.gtk.org now updated but no news!

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:37:15PM -0500, Shawn Amundson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com> wrote:
> > I would like that too, but in retrospect, I found out that Tim Janik
> > (ironically) has root access to the machine too - so it's less of an issue
> > now.
>

> A few people have root, with the intent that if I become unreachable, there
> are others that can help out.  (For example, if I go on vacation, which is
> where I was the past few days...)
>

> > I have no idea what's required to make this happen, I suspect moving dns
> > entries and creating a project in the gnomeweb-wml git repo?

Existing git repositories can stay.

> Moving gtk.org would also require moving gimp.org and maintaining that as
> well.  It would involve not only the website but also FTP, mail, DNS, etc.
>  It is a package deal.  And I'd probably have to keep root access in the
> process... would the GNOME sysadmin team want another sysadmin?

FTP: We use ftp.gnome.org which is a mirror. I'd suggest using that.
mail: postfix and so on; we do not have a nice UI for 'gimp.org', only
something for 'gnome.org'. gimp.org would be separate, probably using
Puppet (pretty easy)
website: we have stuff in place to automatically update websites from a
git repository. Most is on RHEL6, which has PHP 5.3.
DNS+whois: easy, we've moved loads of domains to the same whois register
and into our DNS server.

Note: GNOME infrastructure uses RHEL (except for a bit of
Ubuntu,Debian,Fedora). We're still getting a few new servers in to
replace the existing ones. But manual packages + working outside of
'Puppet' is frowned upon.

As to if we want another sysadmin: send an email to
gnome-sysadmin gnome org.. always a team decision.

Why do you want to keep root access btw? Just wondering what you
normally use it for.

> > Does anyone have information about the political reasons as to why it was
> > never moved before? I am missing the history on that.
> >

> We should probably only talk about 10+ year old history like that over beer.
>  :)  It's a different mix of people now, so I'm sure we can create our own
> political problems if we need to. :)

I haven't been around that long and I don't drink beer :P

Olav