Re: next steps for touch support in GTK+

hi;

once again, from the department of "I didn't bother to ask, so I'll
make stuff up"...

On 2 August 2012 13:52, Morten Welinder <mortenw gnome org> wrote:
>> === 4. Which GTK+ widgets break with touch ===
>> The SpinButton item from above is one example of those.
>
> I really hope the solution is neither "remove anything that doesn't work
> with touch" or "parallel widget hierarchy".
>
> GtkSwitch bugs me.  It really should just have been a styling of the toggle
> button since it performs the same function with a different look.

it does not "perform the same action".

>  But no,
> it is currently a totally separate widget not even derived from GtkButton.

a GtkButton is a GtkContainer; adding widgets inside a light switch is
pointless: how would that even work?

not everything has to inherit from existing classes, *especially* if
the behaviour is different (both from the user interaction standpoint
*and* from the API standpoint).

as a side question: do you think that I, and everyone who reviewed
that patch, is stupid and doesn't know about the existence of
GtkButton? really? all those questions have been posed and answered in
the bug report that handled the introduction of the GtkSwitch widget.

you may question the appearance of the widget (labels in, labels out,
colors) but at least credit the people that wrote it some level of
intelligence.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--