Re: RFC: new features

On 01/11/2012 06:59 PM, Benjamin Otte wrote:
[...]

And with these caveats, I'll go on and list the features and my
personal opinions about them - why they are not yet part of GTK and
why they should or should not be. As always, feel free to disagree or
list more features that you think might be worthwhile.

DOCK
[...]

I've always felt something like this was missing from GTK+. I think I remember seeing a cool widget for this in Qt the last time I poked around in their RAD tool (I don't know Qt at all).

VIDEO PLAYER
[...]

Along with this, it would be great to have YUV-ish support in Cairo that could somehow avoid or minimize converting a whole frame between colorspaces (ex. YUV to RGB) and make use of hardware YUV support. I'm not sure if that even makes sense, since probably lots of code depends on working in another colorspace, but it would make real-time video easier to get right (ie. not slow).

What about a more general GtkVideoCanvas widget that can help out here and maybe have a separate sink plugin in GStreamer that can pull frames from a pipeline and render to the canvas. Then it's not restricted to just being useful for Gstreamer apps but can be if using Gstreamer. Applications could choose to just use V4L2, DShow or libav* directly and render onto the canvas, for example. Each new frame could cause an expose/draw signal giving the chance to do OSD on it with Cairo.

Here's a couple more ideas:

SIMPLE TREE and LIST
It would be great to have simple GtkTree and GtkList widget sitting ontop of the extremely powerful GtkTreeView API for those many cases where you just need a basic tree or list box. The new widgets would not require a book[1] to explain how to use it. I saw a GtkTree in the API docs but it's deprecated, presumably because it doesn't sit ontop of the better tree view API.

TAB BUTTONS
I think Tristan alluded to this in another thread, but there is a common need for a compact button that can fit into small places such as a notebook tab. It's feels really dirty doing it yourself. This could be used in the next one...

NOTEBOOK IMPROVEMENTS
See Firefox.

I think that's it.

Cheers,